Service client – Questions and Answers to Logbook Suite
Sujets de cette page
Do you have any questions about Logbook Suite or problems? On this page we have collected some troubleshootings.
If your questions are not answered here, the support of 2K Yachting will help. You can reach our technical support best if you send an email to:
If Logbook Suite should start with a German user interface, simply tap the button Vorgaben in the Logbook Suite Manager and select your desired language from the list.
Important note about the update of the app LogbookNMEA connect (iPad)
Occasionally it can happen that the App LogbookNMEA connect does not work correctly after an update. The solution is quite simple:
- Write down your settings (sources) in LogbookNMEA connect.
- Delete the app completely from your iPad.
- Reload the app from the App Store.
- Set up the sources again.
Now LogbookNMEA connect should work as usual.
Important note about the installation of Logbook Suite for Windows
During the installation of Logbook Suite for Windows all virus scanners must be completely deactivated – even the internal virus scanner of Windows 10. Virus scanners change the database files of Logbook Suite during the scan so that they become unusable.
Important note for Logbook Suite on Mac
To use Logbook Suite on Mac it is important to avoid that the Logbook Suite data folder moved to iCloud Drive. Saving the files automatically in iCloud Drive can cause problems with Logbook Suite – including file corruption. This is because the automatically writing of opened files to the cloud collides with the way database-based applications automatically save the entries.
MacOS Catalina by standard copies the users Documents folder to iCloud Drive. Therefore starting with Logbook Suite 2.1 the data folder “Logbook Suite” is located directly in the top level of the user folder and no more inside of the documents folder.
With the update to Logbook Suite 2.1 respectively Logbook Suite 2.2 your data folder is automatically moved to the new location.
If you are still using an older version of Logbook Suite and have problems (crashes, data loss, unwanted file duplicates), we recommend update to Logbook Suite 2.2 or to move your data folder from Logbook Suite to the new location already now. Proceed as follows:
- Close Logbook Suite.
- Move (not copy!) your data folder “Logbook Suite” from the folder Documents within your user folder one level up, so that it is directly in your user folder — i.e. on the same level as the folder Documents.
- Hold down the shift key (capital letter) and start Logbook Suite.
- A dialog to define the data folder is displayed.
- Choose the button “Choose” in the dialog and then in the following file selection dialog select the folder “Logbook Suite” from your user folder.
- Now Logbook Suite starts permanently using the moved data folder.
Logbook Suite: Installation
Note for the installation of Logbook Suite for WindowsPlease note that on Windows computers you only can make entries in database software from accounts with administrator’s right. Therefore it is necessary that you install Logbook Suite with an account with all administrator privileges. Nevertheless, with some Windows installations the administrator account hasn’t got all rights that are required for the use of a database software. This is particularly the case for computers with additional accounts. You may recognize that every time Logbook Suite is started, a message is shown, that an update of the data files has been executed, even when nothing has been updated. In this case there is a rather simple solution:
- Start Logbook Suite using the context menu of the program and select “Run as administrator”.
- Alternatively you can set up the link to the program Logbook Suite thus the software automatically gets always the administrator privileges. In the context menu choose the entry “Properties”, click the “Shortcut” tab, then on “Advanced” and activate the “Run as Administrator” check box. To finish click OK.
- In some cases, in addition to the step above the access rights of the databases contained in the program folder of Logbook Suite (the files with extension fmp12) need to be manually changed to full access.
Receiving GPS data on iPad
In order for Logbook will be able to receive GPS data on the iPad, you need to have activated the Location Services for Logbook Suite and for LogbookNMEA connect in the Settings app of the iOS.
To transfer navigation data from the iPad’s built-in GPS or from an NMEA data source, you need our free iPad app LogbookNMEA connect. This app establishes the connection between Logbook and the GPS or the instruments.
Mac: macOS 10.13 and newer
Windows: Window 7 SP1 Professional/Ultimate, 8.1 Standard/Pro, 10 Pro/Enterprise
iPad: iOS 12.2 and newer, minimum 1.5 GB free memory
iPhone: iOS 13.2 and newer, minimum 1.5 GB free memory
Current version numbers of Logbook and the Add-onsIf you are using an older version and have problems with the file, you can download the new version from our website into Logbook Suite by clicking the Update button in the Logbook Suite Manager and update your current file automatically. The Update dialog will always show you the versions you are using and the latest available versions.
|Logbook||5.2.1||• PC: Fixed an error in the calculation of the track
• PC: Fixed error that Log value was not read out with Auto-NMEA
• PC: Warning message if no data is received with Auto-NMEA
|5.3.0||• Interface utilisateur française
• Signalement coloré lorsqu'une entrée de navigation a été modifiée plus de 2 minutes après sa saisie (numéro de ligne en orange, horodatage de la modification en rouge).
• Les étiquettes colorées pour les vitesses de vent fonctionnent à nouveau.
• iPad : correction d'une erreur lors de la lecture des heures de fonctionnement du moteur.
|Logbook Lite||1.0.1||• Compatible with Biography
• Minor bugs fixed
|1.0.2||• New: French user interface
• Small bugs in user interface and print function fixed
|LogbookNMEAconnect||1.9.6||Old NMEA data are now reliably deleted|
|1.10.0||Interface utilisateur française|
|1.10.1||Optimisation de l'évaluation des données si les données AIS sont également incluses|
|Biography||2.2.0||• New function for storing images and PDFs related to logbooks
• Import of logbooks from Logbook Lite
• iPad: one continuous PDF from multiple layouts
|2.2.1||Fixed a bug related to inserting and viewing PDFs|
|2.3.0||Interface utilisateur française|
|BoardCash||3.2.1||New enhanced and optimized user interface for the iPhone|
|3.2.2||Deleting entries now works correctly in the detail view.|
|3.2.3||Image fields now also support multipage PDFs|
|Budget||1.0.2||• File can now be closed correctly
• SYNC data is loaded automatically even with less than 10 entries
|1.0.3||Version number for update is now stored correctly|
|1.0.4||Image fields now also support multipage PDFs|
|Crew||2.1.3||Fixed a bug related to inserting and viewing PDFs|
|First-Aid Kit||2.3.0||Interface utilisateur française|
|Inventory||2.3.0||• Interface utilisateur française
• Listes montrent également les unités
|Maintenance||2.1.2||Fixed issue when synchronizing duplicated jobs|
|2.2.0||• Interface utilisateur française
• La liste des activités est personnalisable par l'utilisateur
• La numérotation des tâches peut comporter jusqu'à 3 chiffres
|Logbook Suite Manager||2.2.2||• Fixed an error when downloading Budget
• Update for Budget is now detected correctly
|2.2.3||Current version numbers are now correctly recognized|
|2.2.6||Fixed a bug that during the initial installation of Logbook Suite PhoneTools the module Logbook Lite could not be loaded.|
|2.2.7||Fixed a bug with the display of icons on the iPad.|
|2.2.8||Interface utilisateur française|
|Scheduler||3.2.0||• Improvements to the user interface, optimized usability
• Problems due to operating system updates fixed
|3.2.1||Update procedure improved|
|SYNC||2.2.1||• Optimized data download when no data available.
• Improved window switching on iPad.
|2.2.2||Interface utilisateur française|
|WorldEnsigns||2.2.8||Fixed a bug with the position of the capital of Myanmar|
Update to Logbook Suite 2.2
Download the update for existing Logbook licenses
If you already own a PC license for Logbook for Mac or Windows, you can simply download the new version Logbook Suite 2.2 for your operating system from your 2K Yachting Shop account without filling out the download form again.
To download the installer from your shop account select at “Instant downloads” the download button that is displayed next to your Logbook PC license. All other download buttons do not have an installer because they are valid for all platforms.
Just ignore the version number that is displayed in your account! For all versions of Logbook the download button is linked to the installer of Logbook Suite 2.2. All updates are for free.
The update for iPad can be loaded from the Apple App Store as usal.
Update existing data files to Logbook Suite 2.2
When installing Logbook Suite 2.2 your data files from older versions of Logbook Suite are automatically updated. However, the automatic update affects only files with default file names in the default data folder, other files need to be updated manually to version 2.2.
If you have already used an older version of Logbook (Logbook version 2.0 or newer) or Logbook Suite, you can open your files from Logbook and the Add-ons created in the older version of the software also with Logbook Suite 2.2. But the file will only provide the functions of the original version of the program.
After installing Logbok Suite 2.2 you can import your old data files into Logbook Suite so all the new features will be available.
The following instructions explain all the necessary steps on the PC or the iPad.
Automatic update of older data files on PC
If you want to update older data files (Logbook minimum version 2.0, Add-ons all versions) to Logbook Suite 2.1, you can do this very easily using the automatic updating function.
- Copy your data files from older versions into a folder. All files need to use the standard file names and the extension .fmp12. If necessary, you should edit the file names using the Finder or the Explorer before starting the function. Please note that all files need to be closed when performing the update.
- In Logbook Suite Manager choose the button More… and then the button Import data from 3.7 or older.
- When you have seleceted your folder the update process is started. After a few security messages, the data from the old versions are imported into the files of Logbook Suite 2.1.
A step-by-step instruction for a manual updating is provided in User Manual Logbook Suite Basics.
Automatic update to Logbook Suite on iPad
Using the button Import data from 3.7 and older from the menu of the button More… of the Logbook Suite Manager you can perform an automated update of your data from older versions (Logbook minimum version 2.0, Add-ons all versions) to Logbook Suite 2.2. Please note that all files should not use the standard file name and should be closed while performing the update.
- Copy the old data file to Logbook Suite 2.2.
- In the Logbook Suite Manager tap the button More… and then the button Import data from 3.7 and older.
- In the popover choose from the first list which module you want to update.
- Then select from the second list the file containing the data to be imported from. The list contains all files stored in Logbook Suite except the default files.
- Tapping the button Update starts the import process of the data.
Because of the file system on the iPad, the update must be executed one by one for each file.
A step-by-step instruction for a manual updating is provided in User Manual Logbook Suite Basics.
Logbook: NMEA function
Test your NMEA connection with Logbook on PCWhile Logbook is in demo mode and there are less then five days in the logbook, you can test the NMEA feature for PC and iPad. We strongly recommend to test the NMEA connection between Logbook and your equipment before purchasing the PC NMEA License. The connection should work with all NMEA and GPS devices that are connected to the PC using USB, Bluetooth or WiFi. Nevertheless there could be some devices on the market that are not compatible with Logbook.
Test your NMEA connection with Logbook on the iPadWhile Logbook is in demo mode and there are less then five days in the logbook, you can also test the Logbook NMEA function for iPad. Once you have created more than five days, the feature is only available if you have entered a NMEA serial number for iPad. Please note that LogbookNMEA connect version 2.3.4 is required for the new engine data collection in Logbook 5.2. The following list shows the hardware, for which the app provides preset configurations.
If you want to use a hardware that is not listed, please contact our support.
List of Devices supported in NMEA function for iOSOur NMEA function for iPad uses the app LogbookNMEA connect, which has been developed exclusively for Logbook, to connect Logbook to NMEA data sources. LogbookNMEA connect offers pre configured settings for the following devices or connections. Internal
- iPad Barometer
- iPad GPS
- Actisense NGT‑1 (IP)
- Actisende W2K‑1
- comar i300W/i320W
- comar NMEA-2-Wifi
- Digital Yacht (NavLink 2, TCP, UDP)
- DMK Box (NMEA 0183 & NMEA 2000)
- DY: iAIS / WLN10
- ezTCP CSW-H80
- GMM (NMEA 0183, NMEA 2000)
- GoFree™, GoFree™ Bonjour
- iMux (AdHoc) & iMux / eMux (DHCP)
- nke NMEA Wifi Interface
- NMEA over IP
- NMEAconnect Server
- NMEAremote Server
- PilotTech — AIS Pilot Plug WiFi
- SeaMate Ch.1, SeaMate Ch.2
- SeaSmart.NET (NMEA 0183, NMEA 2000)
- ShipModul MiniPlex-2Wi
- ShipModul MiniPlex-3Wi(-N2K)
- SignalK (NMA 0183)
- XB 8000 / Watch Mate Vision
- Yacht Devices
- Yacht Devices — YDWG-02 (N2k)
You can also connect other devices via LogbookNMEA connect with Logbook, if you know the configuration settings which are used to connect your iPad to your GPS/NMEA device.
Hardware tip for NMEA connection of Logbook
We have tested some WiFi multiplexers in practice and can give you a very special recommendation here:
Small, easy to install and fully compatible with Logbook:
the NMEA 2000 WiFi Gateway YDWG-02 von Yacht Devices.
The device is less than 6 cm long and has a diameter of only 20 mm. Technical information can be found here:
From now on you can also buy this gateway directly from us in our online shop:
The selling price is 189,00 €. We deliver free of shipping costs.
We also have had great experiences with the GoFree Wifi‑1 Modul from Navico (Simrad, B&G, Lowrance) during our tests. This is available in nearly every well sorted ship supply store.
Please also note the tip on setting up the GoFree connection.
Troubleshooting: NMEA data retrieval does not work or is too slowIncorrect settings in dialog Default, GPS/NMEA can cause that no data transfer is possible or that it takes a long time until the data are entered in Logbook. Therefore in the dialog Default, GPS/NMEA only the options for the data that really can be received should be enabled. Otherwise Logbook will wait for unavailable data until the timeout. This applies particullary to the option iPad Pressure, which should be activated only if the iPad has an integrated barometer. In the app LogbookNMEA connect, which is used for the data retrieval, you also need to setup and activated the source iPad barometer in addition to the source for receiving the navigation data. We recommend to use the option Use time from iPad only if the NMEA data source of the ship network does not provide a reliable UTC value.
Troubleshooting: Aborts of NMEA data recording via Auto NMEA (iPad)
The Logbook Suite communication app LogbookNMEA connect from version 2.3 on can detect and ignore errors in the NMEA data so that the data is passed to Logbook without errors. This is especially helpful when using the Auto NMEA function, because NMEA data errors could lead to aborts of the data transfer to Logbook.
If there are still aborts during the data recording with LogbookNMEA connect 2.3, you can use the option Validate (in the settings of your source) to activate a second step of error correction.
Tip: Setting up the GoFree connection in the app LogbookNMEA connect
With the latest iOS updates, the Bonjour protocol, which is used for the automatic detection of GoFree, has been updated several times. However, since GoFree still uses an old version of the protocol, the interface is no longer recognized correctly.
This can be remedied by manually setting up the source. Proceed as follows:
- On your plotter go to the plotter configuration page. Look for the IP of the plotter, which is also displayed here. Write this down.
- Open the app LogbookNMEA connect and choose Source, Edit, Add source.
- Choose NMEA over IP.
- Make the following settings.
- Protocol: TCP
- Host: IP of your plotter (it is shown on the info screen of your plotter)
- Port: 10110
- If you now activate the source, data should be displayed in the blue field.
Important note for owners of chartplotters with WiFi
Unfortunately, the plotters from Raymarine, Furuno and Garmin don’t stream the standard NMEA data via the integrated WiFi. The WiFi only sends specially prepared information for the own-brand apps in a vendor-proprietary, non-public data format. Unfortunately the manufactureres are not interested in releasing the interface for use by third-party software.
This is why you need to have installed a NMEA multiplexer with WiFi function in your ship network to access the NMEA data from any other device or application—even if you use a plotter with wireless LAN function.